This month’s featured sponsor spotlight is brought to you by Manusmade.
How many of you like the look and feel of natural materials?
Tania of manusmade loves to design and make things out of natural materials. She enjoys working with linen, wool, raw silk and felt. I had the opportunity to interview her recently. Follow along and get to know a little about Tania and manusmade.
1.How did you come up with the name manusmade?
Manusmade – I came up with the name about ten years ago when I was making handmade greeting cards & journals to sell at little local crafts shows . I knew I wanted to have a name that reflected all the crafty items I wanted to one day sell – something that reflected a love of anything handmade. “Manus” is the latin word for “hand” so it became manusmade (handmade). I like to think that having the latin in there is a respectful nod to the history and tradition of making things by hand.
2. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I love to read! I’ve always read pretty much everything I can get my hands on – from romance to books on business and everything in between. I usually have about 4 books on the go at anytime!
I was so gaga about books that when I was about 12 I set up my own library in my bedroom – I gave all the books their own code number and created a handwritten borrowing list. Yes, I was a bit of an introverted child :). In another lifetime I would have been a librarian.
3. Tell us 5 things that you LOVe about having your own Etsy Shop.
1. I love the community I’m building through Etsy – people you would never meet in your local area become fast friends and supporters!
2. I love the challenge of taking pictures to really showcase my products – it really pushes me to learn how to use the camera – how to set up shots and lighting to make things look great.
3. I love the fun of writing the product descriptions – I’m trying to get people involved through all their senses – touch, emotion, and colour. For my “text” line, I play up my goofball sense of humour to create stories around the quotes.
4. I love the ease of creating a shop in Etsy – it truly can be done in one sitting. It really is a place that is very democratic – anyone can come in and sell something they’ve made and it makes handmade goods more accessible for everyone
5. And finally, I just plain love the feeling of being a “shopgirl”!
4. Any new or exciting things coming into to your shop that you want to tell us about?
I’m currently running a contest for the “punniest” quote – I want people to submit funny quotes to go on my series of tea towels – the winner will get my deepest funnybone respect, plus three tea towels for themselves ($54 value!). Other than that, I want to expand the types of things I offer – more table linens like placemats and napkins and more aprons. I also have some ideas for different styles of bags, both out of linen and 100% wool felt. Beyond that, I’d love to get patterns into the shop – patterns for items I already make, but also potentially for a line of clothing as well. I’m very excited about that possibility.
5. I noticed in your blog that you are a list maker. How does this help you stay focused?
I am a list maker for sure, but they are more like “brain dumps” than truly detailed lists. I have a tendency to get stuck in my head sometimes, and it’s usually because I have so many ideas and things I want to remember – the only way for me to get out of my head and into my hands making things is to dump it all out on paper. Once it’s there, I can take some of those items and make a to-do list for that day or week, where as some of the bigger idea-type items can go into an “ideas” folder to pull from later on those days when my brain is not coming up with anything.
Manusmade is giving way this beautiful Natural Waves Linen Pillow to one of our lucky readers.
Its a $50 value and I know it will look great in your home.
Here’s How You Can Win:
*Go to Manusmade & look around at all the beautiful products, then come back & tell me what your FAVORITE item is -1 entry per shop
*Include manusmade in an Etsy treasury & send her a link via Etsy -5 entries per treasury
*Follow my blog using Google Friend Connect- 1 entry
Giveaway ends April 30, 2011 at Midnight & is only available to US residents. Winners will be notified by email the following day.